Menu

Monday, December 30, 2013

Munchy Monday: Melted Snowman Cookies

A few weeks ago I planned the Kids Hope Christmas party and decided to change things up a bit. Usually when I offer sugar cookies, I let the kids decorate them themselves. But if the past has proved anything to me it's that if you set a bowl of icing and a few jars of sprinkles in front of a kid, they're not going to be happy until every ounce of icing and EVERY SINGLE SPRINKLE is on their one, allotted cookie. But who can judge them? If you're truthful, you know you want to do the same thing. But you're an adult. And that's socially unacceptable.

Apparently.

So this year I got smart and decided to decorate the cookies ahead of time but do something cute that the kids would hopefully enjoy just as much. And this was the result!

Melted Snowman Cookies (Some more melted than others...)

A quick search of pinterest yielded this lovely blog post, detailing how to make your very own melted snowman cookies! 

I used a different cookie recipe (found here) and a different icing recipe (found here), mostly because I really love Alton Brown and I didn't know where to find Wilton Meringue Powder (anyone know what that is? I don't think it's the same as powdered sugar). Once I made the icing, per Mr. Brown's recipe, I did add the water that Simply Stitched together suggested. This thinned the icing out and gave that lovely melted illusion to the cookie. I also used mini chocolate chips as the buttons and red icing for the nose, as I couldn't find orange. But I would really look for orange. Upon close inspection my noses looked like little smears of blood. Whoopsie! 

Some of my cookies started breaking a bit. I think if I would have made them the night before, I wouldn't of had that problem. 

But it didn't really matter when it came time to ice them. Icing holds things together pretty well! I also added about a tablespoon of eggnog to the icing, because the kiddos loved my eggnog icing so much last year! 

Mmmmm.....Royal Icing.

After the microwave. I think I could have let them puff up a little more than I did. 

Snowmen, Pre-faces
Fair warning: You've got to give yourself some time on these babies. You can't be in a time crunch or they just won't turn out right. I will also say, decorating the faces was the hardest part. Some of my eyes were more than a little melted and my mouths weren't the best either. I think next year I'll look for different black icing for my eyes. And as they say, practice makes perfect! But you know what? The kids didn't care! They loved the cookies just as they were! Extra melty and all! 

I made these for a christmas party, but they are totally appropriate all winter, in my humble opinion. Maybe for a winter birthday or a fun mid-winter cookie exchange? Maybe you just want to get really ambitious on a Saturday movie night! Whatever the occasion, I do hope you will try out this awesomely cute little recipe! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

2013 2014 2015 2016 31 day 31 Days 90's Anderson Farms anniversary antique apples art art shows babies back to school Barking Mad Arts baths Best Of Birthday black & white bloggers blogging Book Club book recommendations books bucket list Buffy the Vampire Slayer calender cats children Christmas Cindy Lesman Cinevore clothing clothing exchange Color Crush Colorado Colorado Floods comics Consignment cookie corn maze costuming covergirl crafts date night daytrip decor Destree's Doodles Disney DIY dog Dr. Who elf Fall family fantasy fashion fiction film Film Fashion films flowers friday favorites garden Gilmore Girls Girls Night In Girls Night Out Goals Goodreads Goodwill Gourmet Supper Club Greeley grief Halloween hats hitchcock holidays homewares horror hosting Illustrations illustrators Indie Winter Arts Market inspiration James Hopkins JCP Joshua Hoffine Joss Whedon journal kids kiss Lauren Zurchin Leading up to 30 lists Love Letter to a Song makeup mantle marriage memorial day memories mixtape Modcloth monday motivation Motivational Monday movies Munchy Monday music nails nerd New Girl New Years October Old Navy OOTD organization Outfit of the Day pantone parties phone case photo an hour photos pictures podcasts polyvore Primark Project Selfie pumpkin carving pumpkins Pushing Daisies recipe recipes redrum Renaissance Festival Rob Walker rum running Saint Patrick's Day salted caramel Salvation Army Say Anything scary scunci Selfie short stories small business Saturday snow soup Spa Treatments Spotify spring Star Wars stationary steampunk Style Lend styling summer tags Target Thanksgiving theater Thoughtful Thursday Thrift thriftchallenge2016 thrifting Thrifting Thursday Thrifting Wishlist top 5 travel tv vacation Valentine's Day Victorian Cut-out Theater video games vine vintage Vinted Walgreens watercolor Weekend Wrap-up Weld County wine Winter Wordless writing yard sale youtube