Menu

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Best of 2013

As the year draws to an end, I thought I might put together a little list of 2013's bests. Bear in mind, all of these are based solely on my opinion and tastes.

Best Film: Tie Between The Hunger Games: Catching Fire & The Worlds End 
I acknowledge that there were probably technically better films out there, but I just didn't make it to many movies this year. I looked forward to and thoroughly enjoyed both of these films immensely.

  • Films Not Seen, But Excited About: Kill Your Darlings & Inside Llewyn Davis 


Best TV Show: New Girl 
I discovered New Girl this summer and boy, am I glad that I did! I have throurally enjoyed Zooey Deschanel's performance, as well as the rest of the ensemble cast. There are no lemons in this show and I can't wait to see the next season on Netflix!

Best Album: Bastille- Bad Blood 

Best Moment: Buying our first house. It felt so good to get completely out of debt early on in 2013 and be able to buy our very first home in June! While I would suggest everyone wait until the time is right for them (goodness knows we did!) but in my humble opinion, being a homeowner is the tops!

Best Achievement: Directing my first play, Enchanted April, at the Windsor Community Playhouse. What a fantastic experience!

  • Runner Up: Ramping-up my blog and blogging everyday in October. 


Best Novel: The Shining by Stephen King
This book certainly didn't come out in 2013 and this wasn't even the first time I've read it, but for whatever reason, this story really got under my skin at the end of October. The Overlook Hotel & Jack, Wendy & Danny Torrence will definately be with me for a while. So good.

Best Graphic Novel: Sailor Twain or The Mermaid in the Hudson by Mark Siegel
This is one of the best stories I've read in a long time, graphic novel or not. You can read some of it here on Siegel's page. I strongly suggest you check it out!

Best Non-Fiction: The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook 
Every recipe in this book is a gem and the photography is beautiful. Check out the Smitten Kitchen folks here.

That's it, folks! It's New Year's Eve and I need to be getting ready to head out on town, so I will leave you with one of my favorite Irish New Year's blessings:

In the New Year, may your right hand always be stretched out in friendship but never in want.

Happy New Year, Friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

2013 2014 2015 2016 31 day 31 Days 90's Anderson Farms anniversary antique apples art art shows babies back to school Barking Mad Arts baths Best Of Birthday black & white bloggers blogging Book Club book recommendations books bucket list Buffy the Vampire Slayer calender cats children Christmas Cindy Lesman Cinevore clothing clothing exchange Color Crush Colorado Colorado Floods comics Consignment cookie corn maze costuming covergirl crafts date night daytrip decor Destree's Doodles Disney DIY dog Dr. Who elf Fall family fantasy fashion fiction film Film Fashion films flowers friday favorites garden Gilmore Girls Girls Night In Girls Night Out Goals Goodreads Goodwill Gourmet Supper Club Greeley grief Halloween hats hitchcock holidays homewares horror hosting Illustrations illustrators Indie Winter Arts Market inspiration James Hopkins JCP Joshua Hoffine Joss Whedon journal kids kiss Lauren Zurchin Leading up to 30 lists Love Letter to a Song makeup mantle marriage memorial day memories mixtape Modcloth monday motivation Motivational Monday movies Munchy Monday music nails nerd New Girl New Years October Old Navy OOTD organization Outfit of the Day pantone parties phone case photo an hour photos pictures podcasts polyvore Primark Project Selfie pumpkin carving pumpkins Pushing Daisies recipe recipes redrum Renaissance Festival Rob Walker rum running Saint Patrick's Day salted caramel Salvation Army Say Anything scary scunci Selfie short stories small business Saturday snow soup Spa Treatments Spotify spring Star Wars stationary steampunk Style Lend styling summer tags Target Thanksgiving theater Thoughtful Thursday Thrift thriftchallenge2016 thrifting Thrifting Thursday Thrifting Wishlist top 5 travel tv vacation Valentine's Day Victorian Cut-out Theater video games vine vintage Vinted Walgreens watercolor Weekend Wrap-up Weld County wine Winter Wordless writing yard sale youtube