Menu

Friday, October 28, 2016

31 Days of Halloween: Costuming With What You Have

I love costumes. I love building characters through costume & Halloween gives me the perfect, socially acceptable excuse to play dress up! This year, I have had three opportunities to pull out some fun pieces from my costume boxes & I am very pleased wit the outcome! 

Part of what I love about costuming is using what you already have to create the perfect look & you don't have to have a costume box like me to come up with a great costume! If you haven't already decided on what you're being this Halloween, challenge yourself by pulling a costume from your closet or past costuming pieces. Not only is it cost-effective, but it's fun! 

Medieval Queen


Earlier this year, I found this lovely, high quality dress at my local ARC for $3.00. Needless to say, I was pleased as punch! Last Sunday when we took my nephew to a trick or treating event, I wanted to be extra festive! I combined the thrifted dress with jewelry that I purchased at the Colorado Renaissance Festival when I was in high school to achieve a Medieval queen costume. This could easily be turned into a Game of Thrones costume with the right hair style & minimal props. 


1978 David Bowie


Several years ago, I went to a Halloween party dressed as David Bowie & it was one of my favorite costumes ever! Earlier this week, I was tasked with putting together a costume for my weekly Barre class & couldn't think of anyone I'd rather be than Bowie. This costume is so easy, it's not even funny, as it's mostly dependent on makeup. Get yourself a sparky shirt, some orange/red hair spray & some basic face paints & your can be tumbling through space like our favorite spaceman before you know it! 



(link

 

Magician


I run an elementary kids mentoring program & every year for our Halloween party, I like to dress up! This year I went for a general magician look. I borrowed a coat with tails from my brother, pulled out a wig from last year's Halloween costume & pulled the rest of the pieces from my regular closet. With no planning at all, one of our mentors dressed as a bunny! Talk about meant to be!



No comments:

Post a Comment

2013 2014 2015 2016 31 day 31 Days 90's Anderson Farms anniversary antique apples art art shows babies back to school Barking Mad Arts baths Best Of Birthday black & white bloggers blogging Book Club book recommendations books bucket list Buffy the Vampire Slayer calender cats children Christmas Cindy Lesman Cinevore clothing clothing exchange Color Crush Colorado Colorado Floods comics Consignment cookie corn maze costuming covergirl crafts date night daytrip decor Destree's Doodles Disney DIY dog Dr. Who elf Fall family fantasy fashion fiction film Film Fashion films flowers friday favorites garden Gilmore Girls Girls Night In Girls Night Out Goals Goodreads Goodwill Gourmet Supper Club Greeley grief Halloween hats hitchcock holidays homewares horror hosting Illustrations illustrators Indie Winter Arts Market inspiration James Hopkins JCP Joshua Hoffine Joss Whedon journal kids kiss Lauren Zurchin Leading up to 30 lists Love Letter to a Song makeup mantle marriage memorial day memories mixtape Modcloth monday motivation Motivational Monday movies Munchy Monday music nails nerd New Girl New Years October Old Navy OOTD organization Outfit of the Day pantone parties phone case photo an hour photos pictures podcasts polyvore Primark Project Selfie pumpkin carving pumpkins Pushing Daisies recipe recipes redrum Renaissance Festival Rob Walker rum running Saint Patrick's Day salted caramel Salvation Army Say Anything scary scunci Selfie short stories small business Saturday snow soup Spa Treatments Spotify spring Star Wars stationary steampunk Style Lend styling summer tags Target Thanksgiving theater Thoughtful Thursday Thrift thriftchallenge2016 thrifting Thrifting Thursday Thrifting Wishlist top 5 travel tv vacation Valentine's Day Victorian Cut-out Theater video games vine vintage Vinted Walgreens watercolor Weekend Wrap-up Weld County wine Winter Wordless writing yard sale youtube