Menu

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Thrift Challenge 2016: January

I spent the majority of my thrifting month looking for the perfect cardigan to complete the January thrifting challenge. Now, don't get me wrong! I found some great cardigans this month! But every time I would come across a sweater that caught my eye, I would ask myself, "Do I have anything else in my wardrobe that looks like this?" And the answer was usually yes. 

I created this challenge as a way to build/round out my wardrobe, but also to diversify it. When if comes to cardigans, I generally steer towards a long length. I like longer sweaters that cover my butt & hips when I'm wearing skinny jeans & I guess you could say it's a bit of a security blanket for me. 

So, for this month's challenge I tasked myself with picking a cardigan unlike any other in my closet. And this, my friends, is it! 



Cardigan- GapBody (thrifted) $1
Tank- Target (thrifted) $1
Skirt- Old Navy $10
Tights- Merona (thrifted) $2
Boots- Merona $25
Necklace- Target (gifted)

Earlier this week, I picked up this super soft GapBody cardigan off the $1.00 rack at my local Salvation Army. I generally really like color, but I did try to find a more neutral choice. I originally picked a long navy option with a bright yellow trim, but ultimately put it back on the rack. I wanted something that would work this winter but could transition into spring & the weight of this sweater is perfect for that! I can layer over it, button it up or leave it open, so it's versatile. It's also much shorter which made me kind of nervous, but that's part of the challenge, right? I want to encourage you to try something new when you set out to buy these monthly items. Since the prices are so much lower at the thrift store you can afford to really experiment with your style & try something you wouldn't even think about splurging on.

Friend Finds:


Natalie found a lovely cardigan that will transition perfectly from winter to spring! Natalie says, "I found my cardigan in January, but forgot to post it! I love how warm & chunky it is!"

(link)
If you've found the perfect cardigan this month, I would love to see it! Don't forget to share with #thriftchallenge2016! 


Tip Time:

  • When buying knit wear, pay special attention to the state of the garment. Is it pilling? Are there any holes? Check under the arms & in the arm pits where the fabric rubs together. Are there pit stains? If a piece is already worn out by the time you get it, it's generally not going to get better the more you wear it. If something has stains, you should be 100% confident you have a plan to remove them before you buy it. 
  • Note the care instructions. What is the sweater made of? If you don't think you're going to remember that a sweater is made of wool when it comes time clean it, you probably won't. Believe me; I've ruined enough clothes to know my patterns. I don't dry clean things on a regular basis, so if something needs special attention, I really need to think about it before I fork over my hard-earned money. It might not be worth my time. 

Thrift Challenge 2016 Running Total

$1.00




No comments:

Post a Comment

2013 2014 2015 2016 31 day 31 Days 90's Anderson Farms anniversary antique apples art art shows babies back to school Barking Mad Arts baths Best Of Birthday black & white bloggers blogging Book Club book recommendations books bucket list Buffy the Vampire Slayer calender cats children Christmas Cindy Lesman Cinevore clothing clothing exchange Color Crush Colorado Colorado Floods comics Consignment cookie corn maze costuming covergirl crafts date night daytrip decor Destree's Doodles Disney DIY dog Dr. Who elf Fall family fantasy fashion fiction film Film Fashion films flowers friday favorites garden Gilmore Girls Girls Night In Girls Night Out Goals Goodreads Goodwill Gourmet Supper Club Greeley grief Halloween hats hitchcock holidays homewares horror hosting Illustrations illustrators Indie Winter Arts Market inspiration James Hopkins JCP Joshua Hoffine Joss Whedon journal kids kiss Lauren Zurchin Leading up to 30 lists Love Letter to a Song makeup mantle marriage memorial day memories mixtape Modcloth monday motivation Motivational Monday movies Munchy Monday music nails nerd New Girl New Years October Old Navy OOTD organization Outfit of the Day pantone parties phone case photo an hour photos pictures podcasts polyvore Primark Project Selfie pumpkin carving pumpkins Pushing Daisies recipe recipes redrum Renaissance Festival Rob Walker rum running Saint Patrick's Day salted caramel Salvation Army Say Anything scary scunci Selfie short stories small business Saturday snow soup Spa Treatments Spotify spring Star Wars stationary steampunk Style Lend styling summer tags Target Thanksgiving theater Thoughtful Thursday Thrift thriftchallenge2016 thrifting Thrifting Thursday Thrifting Wishlist top 5 travel tv vacation Valentine's Day Victorian Cut-out Theater video games vine vintage Vinted Walgreens watercolor Weekend Wrap-up Weld County wine Winter Wordless writing yard sale youtube