Menu

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Saint Patrick's Day Playlist: Slainte

(link)

Saint Patrick's Day is one of my favorite holidays & has always been big in my family. I know that it's often seen as mostly an American creation & can seem like an excuse to get wasted, but I still love that once a year I can dress up in green, make Irish (sometime Irish-American) food, pour a tall glass of Guinness & contemplate a part of my heritage that I often feel very removed from. Tonight, while I'm enjoying a pint & some live Irish music at a local teahouse, I can think about the stories my grandmother Marguerite used to tell me when I was a child about her mother, Margaret (Maggie) Gallagher, who hailed from Ireland. I can feel close to a woman who I never met. Great-grandma Maggie always seemed larger than life to me, but on a day like today, I can believe that maybe, if she were here today, she would have a pint with me & tell me some of those stories herself. 

Here is my playlist for the day. It's a little Irish & a little American, just like me.  Slainte is a gaelic word meaning "good health" & is derived from the old Irish adjective slan, which means, "whole, healthy" & is generally said when toasting. I don't know about you, but I could use that toast right now! I hope you enjoy this playlist as much as I enjoyed curating it & that it brightens your Saint Patrick's Day. Slainte! 





There is one explicit song on this playlist (Irish Celebration-Macklemore). I believe it uses the F-word once. Just a FYI if you're playing the songs for your family or your kiddos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

2013 2014 2015 2016 31 day 31 Days 90's Anderson Farms anniversary antique apples art art shows babies back to school Barking Mad Arts baths Best Of Birthday black & white bloggers blogging Book Club book recommendations books bucket list Buffy the Vampire Slayer calender cats children Christmas Cindy Lesman Cinevore clothing clothing exchange Color Crush Colorado Colorado Floods comics Consignment cookie corn maze costuming covergirl crafts date night daytrip decor Destree's Doodles Disney DIY dog Dr. Who elf Fall family fantasy fashion fiction film Film Fashion films flowers friday favorites garden Gilmore Girls Girls Night In Girls Night Out Goals Goodreads Goodwill Gourmet Supper Club Greeley grief Halloween hats hitchcock holidays homewares horror hosting Illustrations illustrators Indie Winter Arts Market inspiration James Hopkins JCP Joshua Hoffine Joss Whedon journal kids kiss Lauren Zurchin Leading up to 30 lists Love Letter to a Song makeup mantle marriage memorial day memories mixtape Modcloth monday motivation Motivational Monday movies Munchy Monday music nails nerd New Girl New Years October Old Navy OOTD organization Outfit of the Day pantone parties phone case photo an hour photos pictures podcasts polyvore Primark Project Selfie pumpkin carving pumpkins Pushing Daisies recipe recipes redrum Renaissance Festival Rob Walker rum running Saint Patrick's Day salted caramel Salvation Army Say Anything scary scunci Selfie short stories small business Saturday snow soup Spa Treatments Spotify spring Star Wars stationary steampunk Style Lend styling summer tags Target Thanksgiving theater Thoughtful Thursday Thrift thriftchallenge2016 thrifting Thrifting Thursday Thrifting Wishlist top 5 travel tv vacation Valentine's Day Victorian Cut-out Theater video games vine vintage Vinted Walgreens watercolor Weekend Wrap-up Weld County wine Winter Wordless writing yard sale youtube