Menu

Monday, October 6, 2014

31 Days of Writing: So You Plant Your Garden...

Earlier last night I saw two of my favorite Youtube bands were playing in Boulder. Thinking that the tickets were probably crazy-expensive, I pretty much talked myself out of going. After about an hour, I decided to look the ticket price, just for the heck of it. Tickets were only $17.50 (with convenience charges, of course) and doors didn't open until 9pm. From that moment on, I couldn't stop thinking about the show.

It was then that I realized that I talk myself out of a lot of things because they're not part of the plan. If we haven't had something on the calendar for weeks, it can't happen. Needless to say, I'm not always great at going with the flow. But because of that, I sometimes feel like I'm missing out; like life is passing me by. 

Now, I knew Rick wouldn't be crazy about heading to Boulder at 7pm, but when I talked to him about it, he was totally supportive and encouraged me to invite a friend so I wasn't sitting alone at the show. 

He's such a catch, folks. 

And then I started my convincing again. My friend wouldn't be able to make it on such short notice and why should I even try? After more encouragement from Rick (Seriously, folks. He's a gem.) I texted my friend & to my surprise, she said yes!

After a short drive to Boulder and after some great conversation, we made it to the show in time to grab a drink and settle in for the opening acts. As I was standing there, listening to some truly great musicians, I was struck by how happy I was to be there. How happy I was to be out on a Monday night, spontaneously listening to some of my favorite bands with one of my favorite people.

I began to wonder how many moments of happiness I have missed because I was adhering to a schedule or because I was waiting for an invitation.

But the glaringly obvious truth is that I don't need an invitation to my own life.

(link)

I will not always have a schedule flexible enough to decide to see a concert at 6pm & leave at 7:15pm. I want to take as many of these opportunities while I can. As I woke up early this morning to finish reading for a small group, I was thankful for my tiredness. I was thankful that I didn't have time to finish my reading the night before because I was too busy having a good time.


Danielle Ate the Sandwich

Pomplamoose 

We got a picture with the lovely & talented Danielle Anderson of Danielle Ate the Sandwich

Here's to more nights just like this one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

2013 2014 2015 2016 31 day 31 Days 90's Anderson Farms anniversary antique apples art art shows babies back to school Barking Mad Arts baths Best Of Birthday black & white bloggers blogging Book Club book recommendations books bucket list Buffy the Vampire Slayer calender cats children Christmas Cindy Lesman Cinevore clothing clothing exchange Color Crush Colorado Colorado Floods comics Consignment cookie corn maze costuming covergirl crafts date night daytrip decor Destree's Doodles Disney DIY dog Dr. Who elf Fall family fantasy fashion fiction film Film Fashion films flowers friday favorites garden Gilmore Girls Girls Night In Girls Night Out Goals Goodreads Goodwill Gourmet Supper Club Greeley grief Halloween hats hitchcock holidays homewares horror hosting Illustrations illustrators Indie Winter Arts Market inspiration James Hopkins JCP Joshua Hoffine Joss Whedon journal kids kiss Lauren Zurchin Leading up to 30 lists Love Letter to a Song makeup mantle marriage memorial day memories mixtape Modcloth monday motivation Motivational Monday movies Munchy Monday music nails nerd New Girl New Years October Old Navy OOTD organization Outfit of the Day pantone parties phone case photo an hour photos pictures podcasts polyvore Primark Project Selfie pumpkin carving pumpkins Pushing Daisies recipe recipes redrum Renaissance Festival Rob Walker rum running Saint Patrick's Day salted caramel Salvation Army Say Anything scary scunci Selfie short stories small business Saturday snow soup Spa Treatments Spotify spring Star Wars stationary steampunk Style Lend styling summer tags Target Thanksgiving theater Thoughtful Thursday Thrift thriftchallenge2016 thrifting Thrifting Thursday Thrifting Wishlist top 5 travel tv vacation Valentine's Day Victorian Cut-out Theater video games vine vintage Vinted Walgreens watercolor Weekend Wrap-up Weld County wine Winter Wordless writing yard sale youtube