Today is my 29th birthday. This is the last year of my twenties.
Really? Wasn't I just 10 and wearing a unicorn shirt?
The last couple of weeks, I have really been struggling with this birthday. which seems odd. Shouldn't 30 be the big existential breakdown birthday? Well, regardless, here we are!
I thought what better way to ease my aging fears & celebrate a big milestone birthday than a list!
Top 10 Best Things About Being 29
1. I can finally look back at all the cringe-worthy things I said & did in high school & college and laugh. And let me tell you, that's a lot of laughing. Now, the cringe-worthy things I said and did yesterday? Those are still plenty fresh in my mind!
2. I'm more comfortable in my own skin than I ever have been before. Regardless of weight, skin clarity, good hair days or flattering hair cuts, I can finally look past all of that to what's really important. Look, I still have bad days (I'm only human), but the majority of the time I care more about what's going on in my head or heart than what's outside of it.
3. Early bed times don't seem as granny-ish as they did when when I was 25. There really is nothing quite like crawling into bed at 9:30 with three cat-men, curling up with a good book and being asleep by 9:45. I highly recommend it.
4. But I can still stay up late a few nights a week without hating the choices that brought me to that point in my life. I mean, I'm not dead yet! ;)
5. The prospect of having little Ricks & Kimberly's doesn't paralyze me with fear like it would have at 21 or even 25.
6. I've lived a good chunk of life. I've had a heck of a lot more experiences than 18 year old Kimberly. Good & bad. Indescribably sad & impossibly happy. And you know what? I think it has made me a more interesting, empathetic, well-rounded person.
7. But I know enough to know I don't know it all. Thank goodness!
8. Apparently women get better in their 30's and if Liz Lemon & Lorelai Gilmore are any indication, that's probably true. I hope to live the heck out of my 29th year and send my 20's off in style!
9. (See # 8) Now, I'm not planning on starting an advice column or anything, but, on occasion, a nugget of experience-founded truth springs forth from my lips and I am both shocked and delighted. Don't worry, it doesn't happen very often.
10. I'm still basically the same person I've always been. Despite what I thought when I was 8, I will never be a mermaid or a princess. I still love dressing in costumes more than real clothes. I will probably always love cats and I may never like lobster. Being an "adult" hasn't magically made me more sophisticated, so I doubt being 29 will really be that much different than being 28. And that is pretty darn comforting!
I have some plans for this year. Goals, dreams and hopes. But at the end of the day, I don't know what the next 365 days will bring. I'm just along for the ride, hoping that whatever comes is as perfectly unexpected as all the years before.
|Is that a toilet tank? An old timey washing machine? You never know with me!|
|Camping. And yes. I've always been fabulous.|
|Apparently it was dress-up time.|
|Two of the best kitties in the world; Chester (blond) & Bart|
|Swimming under the bridge in Hayden, CO.|
|My first best friend. My brother, Robby.|
|Making friends on vacation earlier this summer.|
|Fancy hair for a production at the Windsor Community Playhouse|
|The cemetery where "Night of the Living Dead" was filmed.|
|(Photo Credit: Natalie Mash)|
The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been.