Menu

Thursday, October 31, 2013

31 Days of Halloween: DIY Halloween Slime

Today we are celebrated Halloween at the kid's mentoring program that I direct. In the past we've had a festive snack together, carved some pumpkins and listened to fun music. I also dress up every year, because you don't have to twist my arm too hard to wear a costume!

Pirate Captain Kimberly, sailing the seven seas! 
But this year I decided to do something a little different. I decided to put together little goodie bags for the kids to take home! Now, I don't usually have a problem with candy (Come on! It's delicious!), but I try not to send the kids home with candy right before dinner and right before a holiday when they will no doubt get enough candy for ten kids! So, I tried to think of something a little extra special to put in the bags besides more sweets.

I had such grand plans of putting together these bags with pencils, erasers, inexpensive little toys, temporary tattoos and Halloween slime!

I should note that  I come from the generation of Nickelodeon's Gak and gross-out toys like that. Stuff that cost a pretty penny in the store and would end up covered in cat hair, dirt & cheerios three days later.

Here is a recipe for some gross slime that can be made at Halloween or at any time of the year! Kids love it because it's gross and squishy and you'll love it because it's super thrifty and easy to make. It's easy enough to even let the kids join in on the fun!

Halloween Slime 
1 cup clear Elmer's glue (other brands are probably fine, too) 
1 cup liquid starch
Food coloring in your choice of colors
Portion cups or snack bags 

Make sure that the glue is clear! 
Pour your glue and starch into a medium sized bowl. Mix concoction together with a spoon or if you want to get really crazy, you can use your hands! 

Separate the sticky mixture into as many smaller bowls as you want colors. I made green and orange batches in honor of Halloween! Add a few drops of food coloring to the mixtures and stir. Continue adding color until desired color is reached. It may seem kind of watery at first, but the slime does set up the longer you let it sit.  Divide your slime up into portion cups, snack baggies or other air-tight containers. 

Oooooze!! 
Now, remember when I said earlier that I had grand plans? Well, a little too grand in my case. The more that I mixed the slime the more I realized that it's pretty messy. I didn't really want to be responsible for one of our kiddos getting slime all over their family's carpet or in their hair or something. And because I'm kind of a champion worrier, I scrapped the idea of putting the slime in the goody bags. 

I still think this is a awesome craft and an excellent activity for kiddos. Even Rick and I had fun playing with it! Perhaps with just a little more supervision than I originally envisioned. I mean, look at it! How cool is this slime?! 


This post concludes my 31 Days of Halloween series! I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it for you! Let me know if you liked this format and would like to see more of these long-form theme projects. I will say, while it was sometimes difficult, I did like the challenge of creating new content every single day and I truly hope it has made me a better blogger. Until next year, friends!

Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment

2013 2014 2015 2016 31 day 31 Days 90's Anderson Farms anniversary antique apples art art shows babies back to school Barking Mad Arts baths Best Of Birthday black & white bloggers blogging Book Club book recommendations books bucket list Buffy the Vampire Slayer calender cats children Christmas Cindy Lesman Cinevore clothing clothing exchange Color Crush Colorado Colorado Floods comics Consignment cookie corn maze costuming covergirl crafts date night daytrip decor Destree's Doodles Disney DIY dog Dr. Who elf Fall family fantasy fashion fiction film Film Fashion films flowers friday favorites garden Gilmore Girls Girls Night In Girls Night Out Goals Goodreads Goodwill Gourmet Supper Club Greeley grief Halloween hats hitchcock holidays homewares horror hosting Illustrations illustrators Indie Winter Arts Market inspiration James Hopkins JCP Joshua Hoffine Joss Whedon journal kids kiss Lauren Zurchin Leading up to 30 lists Love Letter to a Song makeup mantle marriage memorial day memories mixtape Modcloth monday motivation Motivational Monday movies Munchy Monday music nails nerd New Girl New Years October Old Navy OOTD organization Outfit of the Day pantone parties phone case photo an hour photos pictures podcasts polyvore Primark Project Selfie pumpkin carving pumpkins Pushing Daisies recipe recipes redrum Renaissance Festival Rob Walker rum running Saint Patrick's Day salted caramel Salvation Army Say Anything scary scunci Selfie short stories small business Saturday snow soup Spa Treatments Spotify spring Star Wars stationary steampunk Style Lend styling summer tags Target Thanksgiving theater Thoughtful Thursday Thrift thriftchallenge2016 thrifting Thrifting Thursday Thrifting Wishlist top 5 travel tv vacation Valentine's Day Victorian Cut-out Theater video games vine vintage Vinted Walgreens watercolor Weekend Wrap-up Weld County wine Winter Wordless writing yard sale youtube