Menu

Monday, September 9, 2013

Munchy Monday: Sweet Potato Fries

While the first official day of fall is swiftly approaching, it still feels a lot like summer around these parts. Right now, while I wish the temps were a little cooler, I know that when it's January and my skin is dry and I've been wearing snow boots for three months, I'll feel a little different.

So tonight I decide to embrace and enjoy the Dog Days of Summer by grilling and making one of our favorite side dishes. Sweet potato fries!

I first made these fries several years ago for a "Big Fish" circus-themed surprise party for my brother and they were a hit! I have since made them at least once a month, at the request of my husband.  Also, I feel like sweet potato fries are pretty trendy right now. I've seen them on the menu of many gourmet burger joints and even at some fast food places. At at a fraction of the calories of regular fries, that's a trend I'm happy to follow.

Grocery List 
2-3 medium sized sweet potatoes (Serves two people, easily) 
2-3 TB Spoons Olive Oil (Just enough for tossing) 
2-3 TB Spoon Minced Garlic 
Fresh Crushed Pepper, to taste 
Kosher Salt, to taste 

First,  get yourself some sweet potatoes. For this batch, I went for the garnet variety, mostly because I think the color is pretty. I like food to look as good as it tastes and these red beauties look delicious! But if you want to get technical, garnet sweet potatoes have a more tender skin that's perfect to leave on. No need to peel! Easy-peasy! 

Pre-heat your oven to 450 degrees. Scrub the potatoes really well and cut into 1/4 inch fries. I prefer a thicker steak fry shape, but feel free to cut thinner if that's your style. 

Throw cut potatoes in a medium sized bowl and toss with oil, salt, pepper and garlic. Then, arrange them on a cookie sheet. Be careful not to crowd the fries and layer them one fry deep. 

 Now, technically you're supposed to line your cookie sheet with parchment paper, but I usually don't. Why, you ask? Because it's one extra step that I usually forget. I've done it both ways and the only benefit I can see to parchment paper is that the fries don't stick as much to the tray. However, I usually stir mine pretty frequently, so I don't really have that issue anyway. I leave it up to you to choose your own adventure!! 



Put your fries in the oven for about 20 minutes on the center rack. I like to stir and turn mine about every 5-7 minutes. Cook until fries are golden brown and tender.



I wish computers had Smell-o-Vision. Seriously.  Now, you're going to want to let these babies cool for 5 minutes before you serve them, so people don't, you know, burn their mouths off their faces and curse you and your family for a thousand years. 



There you have it. Tonight's menu also included grilled brats, Olathe sweet corn and fresh sun tea. I think the Dog Days of Summer would approve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

2013 2014 2015 2016 31 day 31 Days 90's Anderson Farms anniversary antique apples art art shows babies back to school Barking Mad Arts baths Best Of Birthday black & white bloggers blogging Book Club book recommendations books bucket list Buffy the Vampire Slayer calender cats children Christmas Cindy Lesman Cinevore clothing clothing exchange Color Crush Colorado Colorado Floods comics Consignment cookie corn maze costuming covergirl crafts date night daytrip decor Destree's Doodles Disney DIY dog Dr. Who elf Fall family fantasy fashion fiction film Film Fashion films flowers friday favorites garden Gilmore Girls Girls Night In Girls Night Out Goals Goodreads Goodwill Gourmet Supper Club Greeley grief Halloween hats hitchcock holidays homewares horror hosting Illustrations illustrators Indie Winter Arts Market inspiration James Hopkins JCP Joshua Hoffine Joss Whedon journal kids kiss Lauren Zurchin Leading up to 30 lists Love Letter to a Song makeup mantle marriage memorial day memories mixtape Modcloth monday motivation Motivational Monday movies Munchy Monday music nails nerd New Girl New Years October Old Navy OOTD organization Outfit of the Day pantone parties phone case photo an hour photos pictures podcasts polyvore Primark Project Selfie pumpkin carving pumpkins Pushing Daisies recipe recipes redrum Renaissance Festival Rob Walker rum running Saint Patrick's Day salted caramel Salvation Army Say Anything scary scunci Selfie short stories small business Saturday snow soup Spa Treatments Spotify spring Star Wars stationary steampunk Style Lend styling summer tags Target Thanksgiving theater Thoughtful Thursday Thrift thriftchallenge2016 thrifting Thrifting Thursday Thrifting Wishlist top 5 travel tv vacation Valentine's Day Victorian Cut-out Theater video games vine vintage Vinted Walgreens watercolor Weekend Wrap-up Weld County wine Winter Wordless writing yard sale youtube