Menu

Monday, July 10, 2017

Motivational Monday: Go Ahead, Just Wear the Shorts

Okay, here's the truth. 

I hate my legs. I absolutely hate them. 

I hate them so much that I don't often wear shorts & if I do, they have to be loose-fitting & a longer length to cover my thighs. 

A couple of months ago, an artist that I follow on Instagram posted this photo. What great shorts, right? As I admired her shorts, I was all at once surprised & disappointed at how accepting I was of this girl's body, but I could not extend that acceptance to myself. I openly, harshly & often judge & loathe half of the only body that I will ever have. 

That really sucks. 

In addition to working out & eating right, I've started to challenge myself on my body hang-ups. If I like something, I wear it. Now, I still try to take into consideration my body type & shape, but I'm sick of telling myself, "You can't wear that. Your legs are too fat" or "Just lose a few more pounds. Then you can wear that!" You can lose so much time thinking like that. In those moments, I have a few pep talks that I give myself when I'm feeling down. In the dark moments when that hissing little voice starts whispering lies in my mind, I now have the right ammunition against it. 

I try to tell myself: 


  • My lower body will always be bigger than my upper body. Always has been, always will be. Some people would kill for my curves! 

  • No matter how fit I am, nothing about the way I see myself will change unless I change the way I think. You can't love your self while hating your body. 

  • Everyone has cellulite. EVERYONE. Use some coffee body scrub. Or don't. It. Doesn't. Matter.

  • All body types are different & different isn't ugly or wrong. Your body is no exception. You wouldn't talk to your friends about their bodies in a negative way. Why do you think it's okay to talk to yourself that way? 

(link)
(link)
(link)
(link)

I picked these shorts up a couple of weeks ago at the ARC's Saturday 50% off sale. I've been looking for some great basic shorts to round out my wardrobe & these gave me all the "Nobody puts Baby in a corner" vibes. They're sturdy, high waisted & cuffed to just the right length. I hemmed & hawed over them in the dressing room, but ultimately pulled the trigger & threw them in the cart. I think I made the right decision! 

Denim Shorts (exactThrifted, Vintage Cenza by Palmetto's $2.50
Anne Taylor Loft Tank (exact) - Thrifted, $1
Navy Tennies (exact)-Thrifted, Vans $3.50
Octopus Necklace (exact)- Etsy $15.99
Watch- Fitbit Alta & Band, $99.00 & $12.99
Strap Hat- Vintage, Gifted Free
Sunglasses- Arc, $3.00











If you're struggling to love yourself, take heart. I'm right there with you. Let's make each other a promise, okay? Even if it's scary, take a step this week. Even if it's a baby step, please do it. Wear the dress that you love that's hiding in the back of your closet. Go to the thrift store & get yourself an adorable shirt that showcases your arms. Go ahead & wear the shorts. You know I'm going to!

1 comment:

  1. Love, love, love this! And those shorts
    ❤️ Deborah

    ReplyDelete

2013 2014 2015 2016 31 day 31 Days 90's Anderson Farms anniversary antique apples art art shows babies back to school Barking Mad Arts baths Best Of Birthday black & white bloggers blogging Book Club book recommendations books bucket list Buffy the Vampire Slayer calender cats children Christmas Cindy Lesman Cinevore clothing clothing exchange Color Crush Colorado Colorado Floods comics Consignment cookie corn maze costuming covergirl crafts date night daytrip decor Destree's Doodles Disney DIY dog Dr. Who elf Fall family fantasy fashion fiction film Film Fashion films flowers friday favorites garden Gilmore Girls Girls Night In Girls Night Out Goals Goodreads Goodwill Gourmet Supper Club Greeley grief Halloween hats hitchcock holidays homewares horror hosting Illustrations illustrators Indie Winter Arts Market inspiration James Hopkins JCP Joshua Hoffine Joss Whedon journal kids kiss Lauren Zurchin Leading up to 30 lists Love Letter to a Song makeup mantle marriage memorial day memories mixtape Modcloth monday motivation Motivational Monday movies Munchy Monday music nails nerd New Girl New Years October Old Navy OOTD organization Outfit of the Day pantone parties phone case photo an hour photos pictures podcasts polyvore Primark Project Selfie pumpkin carving pumpkins Pushing Daisies recipe recipes redrum Renaissance Festival Rob Walker rum running Saint Patrick's Day salted caramel Salvation Army Say Anything scary scunci Selfie short stories small business Saturday snow soup Spa Treatments Spotify spring Star Wars stationary steampunk Style Lend styling summer tags Target Thanksgiving theater Thoughtful Thursday Thrift thriftchallenge2016 thrifting Thrifting Thursday Thrifting Wishlist top 5 travel tv vacation Valentine's Day Victorian Cut-out Theater video games vine vintage Vinted Walgreens watercolor Weekend Wrap-up Weld County wine Winter Wordless writing yard sale youtube