Menu

Saturday, December 31, 2016

2016 Life & Goal Re-Cap

Whew! 2016 has been a real doozy! I'm not going to lie to you; I am so ready to move on to 2017 after this year, as I'm sure most of you are, too! As one who tries to never to dwell on the negative, we're going to do a little glass-half-fulling here & recap some of my 2016 goals & successes! I did this last year & really enjoyed looking back at it!

As per usual, I didn't accomplish everything I wanted to do. There are definitely a few areas of my life that could use some improvement, but that's what new year's is for, right? Taking stock & re-focusing on where we want to be! I'm ready, 2017! Let's do this!

Continued Working to Toward a Healthier, Happier Me 


On Memorial Day weekend, I ran the longest race I've ever run & finished! By participating in the Boulder Boulder I proved to myself how strong, determined & capable I am. I think I knew all that before I did it, but I definately proved to myself that the voices that whisper to me that I can't do something are liars! If I want something, I need to go for it & do the work. The results will come, slowly but surely! 

A photo posted by Kimberly Destree (@thriftarchives) on

Immediately after this, two things happened; While I was immensely proud of myself, running the Boulder Boulder created a bit of a wall for me. After finishing, instead of thinking, "What's next?", I thought, "Well, that's done. That's the longest race I want to run. I guess I don't have any more goals." Secondly, I went in for a complimentary personal training session at my gym & came out feeling terrible about myself, my fitness level & the progress I had made. 

It was an unfortunate outcome I definately didn't see coming from either experience. However, I think I did the best I could with what I had. I saved up & rewarded myself with a FitBit which basically saved my summer. While my running plateaued, I did take up walking. I really enjoyed spending time with myself, albeit at a much slower pace than last summer, listening to podcasts & taking in the sights & sounds of the nature around my town. And I especially enjoyed watching my steps & challenging myself to go further & further! If you use FitBit, let's be friends! 

I was able to maintain my weight & fitness level while working through some emotional junk that had attached itself to my running. With a new outlook & renewed confidence, I hope to get back on the ball in the new year! 



Completed 31 Days of Blogging in October


For the second time in my time blogging I completed the 31 Days of Blogging in October challenge! It was difficult & took a lot of planning, but I did it! 


Take a Class


This fall, on a whim, I joined a session of Barre Renew at my local rec center & was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it! It's low impact & combines working out with great music & fun gals! I will definately be joining the next session that's offered & hope to continue branching out in not only fitness classes, but classes of all kinds! *hint, hint* 


Get & Use a Passport 


I am very sad to say that this did not happen. My goal this year is to just travel on a plane. Somewhere. Anywhere! It's going to be a busy year and I want to be realistic, but stretch myself, too! 

Direct/Act in a Play 


I am so happy to say that this was achieved not once but twice this year! My brother & I put up a reader's theater in June & a Halloween themed radio drama in October & I am so proud of both! I can't think of people I would rather work with than my brother & the friends we brought together! Now, we are looking forward to putting another show up in February!  

A photo posted by Kimberly Destree (@thriftarchives) on





Read 100 Books


This sadly did not happen & I've been beating myself up a bit about it, which is just silly! I think that I'm going to top out at around 85, which is better than last year, so I guess I can't complain. My number is going to have to be quite a bit smaller this year, due to some upcoming projects, but that's a whole different blog post! Stay tuned! 

Continued to Work on Letting Go 


I had a conversation with a good friend this summer about hair cuts & how I  can mark every big life change by how short my hair is. This year, I let it all go. 

Right before I ran the Boulder Boulder, I chopped my hair off. 2015 had been such a transformational year for me, but I still felt like I was lugging around junk I didn't need to be lugging. At the begining of 2016, my insides didn't match my outsides. Changing my hair was one tiny way of changing the way I felt. It was something visual to remind me that I'm not the same person that I was at the begining of this year. I'm not really the same person that I was at the begining of this month! 






2016 has been a process & I'm still working, even on the last day of the year! It may come as no shock to you, but I have some control issues & this year felt pretty out of control. I don't need to tell you & everyone has their own experiences & opinions, but it's been a rough one! Between current events & personal life events, I got pretty low this spring/summer/into the fall. There were days it was hard to pull myself out of it & there were days that I didn't succeed in that. 

But here we are! It's New Year's Eve & the champagne is chilled! The poppers are prepped & that ball is gonna drop whether we're ready or not (I'm SO ready!) Big things are on the horizon & hard work lies ahead. 2017 looks to be my hardest, yet most fulfilling year in a long time. It will be a year of endings & beginnings & probably a lot of regular, old life sprinkled in & I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't more than a little bit scared. The new year is here! We just need to take the plunge. 

Happy New Year, friends! Are you ready for an adventure? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

2013 2014 2015 2016 31 day 31 Days 90's Anderson Farms anniversary antique apples art art shows babies back to school Barking Mad Arts baths Best Of Birthday black & white bloggers blogging Book Club book recommendations books bucket list Buffy the Vampire Slayer calender cats children Christmas Cindy Lesman Cinevore clothing clothing exchange Color Crush Colorado Colorado Floods comics Consignment cookie corn maze costuming covergirl crafts date night daytrip decor Destree's Doodles Disney DIY dog Dr. Who elf Fall family fantasy fashion fiction film Film Fashion films flowers friday favorites garden Gilmore Girls Girls Night In Girls Night Out Goals Goodreads Goodwill Gourmet Supper Club Greeley grief Halloween hats hitchcock holidays homewares horror hosting Illustrations illustrators Indie Winter Arts Market inspiration James Hopkins JCP Joshua Hoffine Joss Whedon journal kids kiss Lauren Zurchin Leading up to 30 lists Love Letter to a Song makeup mantle marriage memorial day memories mixtape Modcloth monday motivation Motivational Monday movies Munchy Monday music nails nerd New Girl New Years October Old Navy OOTD organization Outfit of the Day pantone parties phone case photo an hour photos pictures podcasts polyvore Primark Project Selfie pumpkin carving pumpkins Pushing Daisies recipe recipes redrum Renaissance Festival Rob Walker rum running Saint Patrick's Day salted caramel Salvation Army Say Anything scary scunci Selfie short stories small business Saturday snow soup Spa Treatments Spotify spring Star Wars stationary steampunk Style Lend styling summer tags Target Thanksgiving theater Thoughtful Thursday Thrift thriftchallenge2016 thrifting Thrifting Thursday Thrifting Wishlist top 5 travel tv vacation Valentine's Day Victorian Cut-out Theater video games vine vintage Vinted Walgreens watercolor Weekend Wrap-up Weld County wine Winter Wordless writing yard sale youtube