Menu

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Thrifting Thursday: Fall Clothing Exchange


I recently hosted my 7th clothing exchange & I think it was the best one yet! If you'd like to throw your own party (which I highly recommend you do), check out my how-to guide here

I still think that's a pretty good to-do list for how to throw the perfect clothing exchange, but over the years I have learned a few more tips! 

1. Body Positivity & Sizing-


I always tell the ladies that come to the exchange that's there's only one rule; you can't say anything negative about your body. Undoubtedly when you get a group full of people together, trying on clothing, negative self-talk starts to materialize. "My butt's too big for these pants!" "I've really gained too much weight this year." "I'm not even going to try that on! It will never fit!" Trying on clothes can turn into a negative body image spiral & I truly hate that! You know you wouldn't speak to your friends the way you talk to yourself! So, if we hear somebody talking negatively about their body, we call them on it! 

Part of the reason I've never worked out a way to organize clothing by size is that I don't really want anyone to feel self-conscious about what section they're "shopping" in. On top of which, women's sizing is absolutely bananas & shouldn't be taken seriously at all! By mixing everything together, nobody has to worry about someone seeing their size & it forces everyone to think outside their usual size to find some real gems they wouldn't have normally tried on! 

2. Personal Shopping- 


One of the things I love about these parties is seeing my friends find clothes they love for FREE! Because party goers are getting everything for nothing, they can afford to step outside their comfort zone. Not only might they try different sizes than they normally would, just because they like the look of something, they can also try some new styles! I always think it's so nice when I hear people say, "This looks like something you would wear! You should try it on!" And it's even cooler when someone helps one of their friends try an item they wouldn't normally pick out  for themselves & they end up loving it! 

Sometimes it takes someone else making a suggestion for you to try on that pair of skinny jeans or that off the shoulder dress. Just that extra little nudge to let someone know you think they'll look like a total babe in something is magic, especially when they're not feeling particularly babe-some. Don't you wish you had that every time you went shopping? I sure do! 


Dinner was a hit! My famous chicken tortilla soup went over like gang busters! 
All the ladies trying on new clothes.
We had a great turn out this year! 
So many leftovers going to our local women's shelter! 

I may change some things up for the next clothing exchange, but the general idea will stay intact; set up an environment where my friends feel comfortable enough to find clothing that they love. Any maybe I'll find a few special pieces for myself. I mean, I'm not a monster! ;)

What would you add to this list? Have you ever had  a clothing exchange? I would love to hear about your experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment

2013 2014 2015 2016 31 day 31 Days 90's Anderson Farms anniversary antique apples art art shows babies back to school Barking Mad Arts baths Best Of Birthday black & white bloggers blogging Book Club book recommendations books bucket list Buffy the Vampire Slayer calender cats children Christmas Cindy Lesman Cinevore clothing clothing exchange Color Crush Colorado Colorado Floods comics Consignment cookie corn maze costuming covergirl crafts date night daytrip decor Destree's Doodles Disney DIY dog Dr. Who elf Fall family fantasy fashion fiction film Film Fashion films flowers friday favorites garden Gilmore Girls Girls Night In Girls Night Out Goals Goodreads Goodwill Gourmet Supper Club Greeley grief Halloween hats hitchcock holidays homewares horror hosting Illustrations illustrators Indie Winter Arts Market inspiration James Hopkins JCP Joshua Hoffine Joss Whedon journal kids kiss Lauren Zurchin Leading up to 30 lists Love Letter to a Song makeup mantle marriage memorial day memories mixtape Modcloth monday motivation Motivational Monday movies Munchy Monday music nails nerd New Girl New Years October Old Navy OOTD organization Outfit of the Day pantone parties phone case photo an hour photos pictures podcasts polyvore Primark Project Selfie pumpkin carving pumpkins Pushing Daisies recipe recipes redrum Renaissance Festival Rob Walker rum running Saint Patrick's Day salted caramel Salvation Army Say Anything scary scunci Selfie short stories small business Saturday snow soup Spa Treatments Spotify spring Star Wars stationary steampunk Style Lend styling summer tags Target Thanksgiving theater Thoughtful Thursday Thrift thriftchallenge2016 thrifting Thrifting Thursday Thrifting Wishlist top 5 travel tv vacation Valentine's Day Victorian Cut-out Theater video games vine vintage Vinted Walgreens watercolor Weekend Wrap-up Weld County wine Winter Wordless writing yard sale youtube