Menu

Monday, May 4, 2015

Munchy Monday: Crunchy Oven-Roasted Chickpeas

Now, I've spoken here about my love of chips & chip like products. If given the choice, I would probably choose a savory, crunchy snack over a sweet treat. So, now that I'm making an attempt to be more mindful about the things that I put into my body, while still enjoying good food (moderation is your friend, kids), I'm trying to think through satisfying my cravings with flavorful, creative foods that don't fill me up with empty calories.

A few weeks ago, after buying several cans of garbanzo beans for hummus (let me know if you want that recipe), I decided to roast up a can and boy, what an inspired idea! Here's the skinny:

Ingredients


  • 1 15 ounce can of Garbanzo Beans
  • 1 1/2 TBLS Olive Oil
  • Kosher Salt
  • Choose your own Spice Blend-I used ground ginger, onion/garlic powder, cumin, paprika & a pinch of chili powder. Use as much or as little as you like. 

Process 


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Drain & rinse your garbanzo beans. Once drained, sandwich your beans in a kitchen towel and gently rub so that the outer skins of the beans come off. The drier they are, the crispier they will be.

Spread your beans evenly on a cookie sheet & drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt & seasonings & toss to coat.

Bake for 30-40 minutes, stirring & turning often so they do not burn. Roast until the beans are golden brown & crunchy. Store in an airtight container. I suggest doubling this recipe because dang, are they tasty!

Here they are in all their glory! 

Now, I'm never going to stop liking chips & I'm still going to eat them every once in a while. Especially during cookouts. Seriously, what is better than potato chips with a hand-formed cheeseburger? The answer is nothing. Nothing is better than that. But for non-cookout times when I want a salty snack that's a little more wholesome, this is definitely one of my new go-tos. I hope you like them as much as I do!

What are some of your favorite savory, healthy snacks? I would love to add a few more to my snacking arsenal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

2013 2014 2015 2016 31 day 31 Days 90's Anderson Farms anniversary antique apples art art shows babies back to school Barking Mad Arts baths Best Of Birthday black & white bloggers blogging Book Club book recommendations books bucket list Buffy the Vampire Slayer calender cats children Christmas Cindy Lesman Cinevore clothing clothing exchange Color Crush Colorado Colorado Floods comics Consignment cookie corn maze costuming covergirl crafts date night daytrip decor Destree's Doodles Disney DIY dog Dr. Who elf Fall family fantasy fashion fiction film Film Fashion films flowers friday favorites garden Gilmore Girls Girls Night In Girls Night Out Goals Goodreads Goodwill Gourmet Supper Club Greeley grief Halloween hats hitchcock holidays homewares horror hosting Illustrations illustrators Indie Winter Arts Market inspiration James Hopkins JCP Joshua Hoffine Joss Whedon journal kids kiss Lauren Zurchin Leading up to 30 lists Love Letter to a Song makeup mantle marriage memorial day memories mixtape Modcloth monday motivation Motivational Monday movies Munchy Monday music nails nerd New Girl New Years October Old Navy OOTD organization Outfit of the Day pantone parties phone case photo an hour photos pictures podcasts polyvore Primark Project Selfie pumpkin carving pumpkins Pushing Daisies recipe recipes redrum Renaissance Festival Rob Walker rum running Saint Patrick's Day salted caramel Salvation Army Say Anything scary scunci Selfie short stories small business Saturday snow soup Spa Treatments Spotify spring Star Wars stationary steampunk Style Lend styling summer tags Target Thanksgiving theater Thoughtful Thursday Thrift thriftchallenge2016 thrifting Thrifting Thursday Thrifting Wishlist top 5 travel tv vacation Valentine's Day Victorian Cut-out Theater video games vine vintage Vinted Walgreens watercolor Weekend Wrap-up Weld County wine Winter Wordless writing yard sale youtube