Menu

Monday, October 13, 2014

31 Days of Writing: The Most Important Work

Some of you may know that I am the director of a children's ministry that partners one church with an elementary school in the area and allows trained & screened adults to meet with a child, that they have been carefully matched with, for one hour a week during the school year. 

I have been working with this ministry for four years now and I am still surprised by so many things about it. 

I am continually surprised that busy adults choose to be a part of our program; that they take time out of their busy weeks to leave work early, drive across town and miss time with their own families to sit in a classroom painting or reading with a child. I don't thank them enough. 

I continue to be surprised that our host teacher thanks me every week. That at the end of every email she sends me, she never neglects to tell me what a blessing this program is to the kids & to the teachers that work with them. 

I continue to be surprised that there is always a list of kids that need a mentor. That despite the fact we've been doing this for four years, the list isn't getting shorter. That the list is, in fact, getting longer. 

I continue to be surprised by things some of these children have to endure. No matter how much I know, I'm still surprised by the fact that I will never ever fully understand what it is like to be them. I hope I never stop being surprised by this. I hope I am always shocked & heart-broken, especially if they can't be because they've never known anything different. 

I need God to break my heart over this daily and to fill me with more than enough joy to share. I need to never be complacent about this job, because it might be the most important job I've ever had. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

2013 2014 2015 2016 31 day 31 Days 90's Anderson Farms anniversary antique apples art art shows babies back to school Barking Mad Arts baths Best Of Birthday black & white bloggers blogging Book Club book recommendations books bucket list Buffy the Vampire Slayer calender cats children Christmas Cindy Lesman Cinevore clothing clothing exchange Color Crush Colorado Colorado Floods comics Consignment cookie corn maze costuming covergirl crafts date night daytrip decor Destree's Doodles Disney DIY dog Dr. Who elf Fall family fantasy fashion fiction film Film Fashion films flowers friday favorites garden Gilmore Girls Girls Night In Girls Night Out Goals Goodreads Goodwill Gourmet Supper Club Greeley grief Halloween hats hitchcock holidays homewares horror hosting Illustrations illustrators Indie Winter Arts Market inspiration James Hopkins JCP Joshua Hoffine Joss Whedon journal kids kiss Lauren Zurchin Leading up to 30 lists Love Letter to a Song makeup mantle marriage memorial day memories mixtape Modcloth monday motivation Motivational Monday movies Munchy Monday music nails nerd New Girl New Years October Old Navy OOTD organization Outfit of the Day pantone parties phone case photo an hour photos pictures podcasts polyvore Primark Project Selfie pumpkin carving pumpkins Pushing Daisies recipe recipes redrum Renaissance Festival Rob Walker rum running Saint Patrick's Day salted caramel Salvation Army Say Anything scary scunci Selfie short stories small business Saturday snow soup Spa Treatments Spotify spring Star Wars stationary steampunk Style Lend styling summer tags Target Thanksgiving theater Thoughtful Thursday Thrift thriftchallenge2016 thrifting Thrifting Thursday Thrifting Wishlist top 5 travel tv vacation Valentine's Day Victorian Cut-out Theater video games vine vintage Vinted Walgreens watercolor Weekend Wrap-up Weld County wine Winter Wordless writing yard sale youtube