Menu

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Thrifting Thursday: Goodwill Outlet World

I have been a thrifter ever since I can remember. My mother was a thrifter, like her mother before her and she taught me her ways  from a very young age.  After 28 years of thrifting, I've seen a lot of thrift stores. I've been to yard sales, flea markets, auctions and swap meets. I've visited thrifty establishments all over this great nation of ours, but there is one place I have never been, and that is to a Goodwill Outlet World.

Good will Outlet World is where the items rejected from other stores go to die. 

Goodwill Outlet World is a thrift store where you buy by the pound. You heard me. 

Goodwill Outlet World is where you have to dig to get to the good stuff. 

Goodwill Outlet World is hard-core, and frankly, I don't know if I have the guts to take it on. 

(link)
(link)
Here's how I heard about this: Rick and I recently went to a friend's house for dinner and got on the topic of thrifting. Our dinner hosts are artists, among other things, and we were asking where they purchased some of their art supplies and interesting home decor. Our host replied, "Goodwill Outlet World". Now, I consider myself an avid thrifter. I pride myself on knowing every thrift store in a 20 mile radius of my town and I had never heard of Goodwill World Outlet. 

I was then told a tale so interesting that I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. A tale of one big room with waist-high blue bins filled with treasures that are rolled out for shoppers to peruse. Think the scene in the Maklemore video where Maklemore and Ryan Lewis walk towards the camera with the broken keyboard. After a half an hour the bins are rolled away and more bins are rolled out. Some bins are filled with one type of item, like all books or all clothes. Some of the bins are mixed together so you really have to dig to see what's in there. Then, when you go to check out, you pay by the pound! I had heard about places like this from people from the Pacific Northwest and the East Coast, but I had no idea that we had any of these types of stores in Colorado! 

According to the Goodwill-Denver website there are 3 Goodwill World locations in the Denver area and I have my heart set on going to at least one of them in the very near future. 

Now, I know that this probably doesn't sound appealing to everyone. This probably sounds like dumpster diving to some folks and maybe it will be like that, but I don't care; I'm so intrigued! It seems like shopping at Goodwill World takes that feeling of treasure hunting that thifting gives you and boils it down to it's purest form and this is something I'd very much like to experience!  

Has anyone visited a store like this or any other Denver locations? I would love to hear your tips and tricks!

Happy Thrifty Thursday, friends!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

2013 2014 2015 2016 31 day 31 Days 90's Anderson Farms anniversary antique apples art art shows babies back to school Barking Mad Arts baths Best Of Birthday black & white bloggers blogging Book Club book recommendations books bucket list Buffy the Vampire Slayer calender cats children Christmas Cindy Lesman Cinevore clothing clothing exchange Color Crush Colorado Colorado Floods comics Consignment cookie corn maze costuming covergirl crafts date night daytrip decor Destree's Doodles Disney DIY dog Dr. Who elf Fall family fantasy fashion fiction film Film Fashion films flowers friday favorites garden Gilmore Girls Girls Night In Girls Night Out Goals Goodreads Goodwill Gourmet Supper Club Greeley grief Halloween hats hitchcock holidays homewares horror hosting Illustrations illustrators Indie Winter Arts Market inspiration James Hopkins JCP Joshua Hoffine Joss Whedon journal kids kiss Lauren Zurchin Leading up to 30 lists Love Letter to a Song makeup mantle marriage memorial day memories mixtape Modcloth monday motivation Motivational Monday movies Munchy Monday music nails nerd New Girl New Years October Old Navy OOTD organization Outfit of the Day pantone parties phone case photo an hour photos pictures podcasts polyvore Primark Project Selfie pumpkin carving pumpkins Pushing Daisies recipe recipes redrum Renaissance Festival Rob Walker rum running Saint Patrick's Day salted caramel Salvation Army Say Anything scary scunci Selfie short stories small business Saturday snow soup Spa Treatments Spotify spring Star Wars stationary steampunk Style Lend styling summer tags Target Thanksgiving theater Thoughtful Thursday Thrift thriftchallenge2016 thrifting Thrifting Thursday Thrifting Wishlist top 5 travel tv vacation Valentine's Day Victorian Cut-out Theater video games vine vintage Vinted Walgreens watercolor Weekend Wrap-up Weld County wine Winter Wordless writing yard sale youtube