Menu

Saturday, March 1, 2014

The Thrift Archives Book Club

I love reading. I'll read anything at least once. But I haven't always loved reading, you know. When I first started school it took me a while to realize that in order to read the cool books that I wanted to read (the books my brother was bringing home from school and the library), I was going to have to first LEARN to read by reading the books my teachers told me to.

Now that I'm an adult, I don't get to read nearly as much as I'd like. And even when I have the time, my attention often drifts elsewhere. That is why I'm starting the Thrift Archives Book Club! Every month, I will announce a book that I will be reading. If you're so inclined, read that book with me! Check it out from your library, see if you can get an electronic copy of it, whatever! Then, at the end of the month, I'll write a blog about the book and some of my thoughts on it. I invite you to join the conversation in the comments! Easy peasy! I read a wide variety of material, so hopefully, at some point, there will be a book to suit everyone's tastes!

This month's book selection is Marjane Satrapi's autobiographical graphic novel Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood.


Here's a little about the book, taken from Amazon:

"Wise, funny, and heartbreaking, Persepolis is Marjane Satrapi’s memoir of growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. In powerful black-and-white comic strip images, Satrapi tells the story of her life in Tehran from ages six to fourteen, years that saw the overthrow of the Shah’s regime, the triumph of the Islamic Revolution, and the devastating effects of war with Iraq. The intelligent and outspoken only child of committed Marxists and the great-granddaughter of one of Iran’s last emperors, Marjane bears witness to a childhood uniquely entwined with the history of her country".

I thought given that I'm not giving you a whole lot of notice before the beginning of March, I'd pick something a little shorter, so if it takes a little while to get your hands on it, you'll still be able to finish the book before April.

Let me know what you think about this blog series! Do you have any questions! I'm kind of doing this off the cuff, so if there's something that I haven't thought of yet, please let me know.

Oh, I'm excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment

2013 2014 2015 2016 31 day 31 Days 90's Anderson Farms anniversary antique apples art art shows babies back to school Barking Mad Arts baths Best Of Birthday black & white bloggers blogging Book Club book recommendations books bucket list Buffy the Vampire Slayer calender cats children Christmas Cindy Lesman Cinevore clothing clothing exchange Color Crush Colorado Colorado Floods comics Consignment cookie corn maze costuming covergirl crafts date night daytrip decor Destree's Doodles Disney DIY dog Dr. Who elf Fall family fantasy fashion fiction film Film Fashion films flowers friday favorites garden Gilmore Girls Girls Night In Girls Night Out Goals Goodreads Goodwill Gourmet Supper Club Greeley grief Halloween hats hitchcock holidays homewares horror hosting Illustrations illustrators Indie Winter Arts Market inspiration James Hopkins JCP Joshua Hoffine Joss Whedon journal kids kiss Lauren Zurchin Leading up to 30 lists Love Letter to a Song makeup mantle marriage memorial day memories mixtape Modcloth monday motivation Motivational Monday movies Munchy Monday music nails nerd New Girl New Years October Old Navy OOTD organization Outfit of the Day pantone parties phone case photo an hour photos pictures podcasts polyvore Primark Project Selfie pumpkin carving pumpkins Pushing Daisies recipe recipes redrum Renaissance Festival Rob Walker rum running Saint Patrick's Day salted caramel Salvation Army Say Anything scary scunci Selfie short stories small business Saturday snow soup Spa Treatments Spotify spring Star Wars stationary steampunk Style Lend styling summer tags Target Thanksgiving theater Thoughtful Thursday Thrift thriftchallenge2016 thrifting Thrifting Thursday Thrifting Wishlist top 5 travel tv vacation Valentine's Day Victorian Cut-out Theater video games vine vintage Vinted Walgreens watercolor Weekend Wrap-up Weld County wine Winter Wordless writing yard sale youtube