Menu

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My Go-To

I love recipes and cookbooks. I often spend hours pouring over my mom's old cookbooks or haunting the stacks at the local library. Because of this love, I often find myself in the situation of finding a really great recipe (mostly happens with dinner and dessert) but realizing that I only have one or two of the ingredients on hand. Then, I make a trip to the store and spend a considerable about of money, just to get the ingredients to make a dish that I may cook once and NEVER make again!

Not very thrifty!!

Well, needless to say, this is something I am working on.

So, this weekend when a major sweet tooth hit, I went to my cupboards. I soon realized I had all the ingriedinets to make Chocolate-Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies! Now, while I assume that most people know how to make these, you know what happens when you assume? So, here is the super-simple recipe.


1 3/4 cups of white sugar
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup of stick butter
4 Tbsp of unsweetened baking cocoa
1/2 cup of peanut butter
3 cups of quick cooking oats
1 tsp vanilla

In a medium pan combine sugar, milk, butter, cocoa and vanilla. Boil for 1 1/2 minutes, remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter and oats then drop onto wax paper. Let cool until hardened.
Drop by spoonful onto wax paper. Let cool for at least 30 minutes.
These cookies are good with coconut. You can omit the peanut butter, if you're not a fan (Although, that seems crazy to me!) or you could add some Grape Nuts/Rice Krispy cereal for a little crunch. Experiment! Use what you have! Create your very own recipe!
So, they're not gourmet! Who cares? These cookies are definitely delicious and are, by far, my favorite cookie ever. AND they were a steal because I had everything that I needed to make them already sitting in my kitchen.
What's your go-to dessert when you have a sweet tooth and are on a budget or just don't want to go to the store?
I'd love to know!

1 comment:

  1. These are my husband's and my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE cookies - always makes me happy when I hear him get the no-bake cookie pot out and pretty soon that wonderful chocolate smell is in the air. :)

    ReplyDelete

2013 2014 2015 2016 31 day 31 Days 90's Anderson Farms anniversary antique apples art art shows babies back to school Barking Mad Arts baths Best Of Birthday black & white bloggers blogging Book Club book recommendations books bucket list Buffy the Vampire Slayer calender cats children Christmas Cindy Lesman Cinevore clothing clothing exchange Color Crush Colorado Colorado Floods comics Consignment cookie corn maze costuming covergirl crafts date night daytrip decor Destree's Doodles Disney DIY dog Dr. Who elf Fall family fantasy fashion fiction film Film Fashion films flowers friday favorites garden Gilmore Girls Girls Night In Girls Night Out Goals Goodreads Goodwill Gourmet Supper Club Greeley grief Halloween hats hitchcock holidays homewares horror hosting Illustrations illustrators Indie Winter Arts Market inspiration James Hopkins JCP Joshua Hoffine Joss Whedon journal kids kiss Lauren Zurchin Leading up to 30 lists Love Letter to a Song makeup mantle marriage memorial day memories mixtape Modcloth monday motivation Motivational Monday movies Munchy Monday music nails nerd New Girl New Years October Old Navy OOTD organization Outfit of the Day pantone parties phone case photo an hour photos pictures podcasts polyvore Primark Project Selfie pumpkin carving pumpkins Pushing Daisies recipe recipes redrum Renaissance Festival Rob Walker rum running Saint Patrick's Day salted caramel Salvation Army Say Anything scary scunci Selfie short stories small business Saturday snow soup Spa Treatments Spotify spring Star Wars stationary steampunk Style Lend styling summer tags Target Thanksgiving theater Thoughtful Thursday Thrift thriftchallenge2016 thrifting Thrifting Thursday Thrifting Wishlist top 5 travel tv vacation Valentine's Day Victorian Cut-out Theater video games vine vintage Vinted Walgreens watercolor Weekend Wrap-up Weld County wine Winter Wordless writing yard sale youtube